Sugar Bears with Infused MCT Oil
It’s that time again! It’s a day to celebrate the power of the plant and create the experience you want to honor it. Whether that means you’re preparing to for a serious chill sesh or ready to embark on an adventure for the day, we are here to provide some elevated edibles with a #LEVOmade twist.
To complement our fan favorite gummy recipe, LEVO super-supporter, Shar Lise, provided us with her vegan-friendly hard candy sugar bear recipe. With an infused-MCT oil, she tells us that, “candy making is 30% baking and 70% scientific experiment.”
Lucky for us, she made this science experiment easy for us to follow, so check it out below!
- 1/4 cup flower-infused MCT oil
- 1/2 cup clear corn syrup
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 dram candy flavoring (such as, pineapple)*
- A tiny bit of food coloring (Shar suggests using gel for vibrant color)
- Pam spray
- Icing (confectioner’s) sugar
*Tip: Shar suggests not using regular extract as the flavor isn’t strong enough.
- Pack LEVO Pod with 7 grams of coarsely ground flower.
- Begin activate cycle at default setting of 240 F for 40 minutes.*
*Tip: Shar suggests for the strongest results wait until it’s completely cooled before removing the lid.
- Upon completion of Activate cycle, pour in ½ cup MCT oil.
- Run an infusion at 190 F degrees for 3 hours.
- Spray your moulds with spray coating. (Tip: Don’t over grease them. Just a fine spray coat.)
- Place oil, sugar, and corn syrup in a heavy bottom pan.
- Place stove low-medium and stir mixture well. As soon as mixture begins to boil get that spatula out of the pot and insert your candy thermometer. (Tip: Ensure the thermometer is in the mixture but not resting directly on the bottom of the pan.
- Let the mixture boil. The temperature will come up. So resist the urge to increase the heat. It takes about 12-15 minutes or so.
- The second that thermometer tells you the mixture is at 300 degrees remove the thermometer and take the pot off the stove.
- Count to 20 and then add your food coloring and flavoring. Add your flavoring stir only a few times. It will harden very quickly.
- Pour the mixture into a Pyrex measuring cup with a metal knife in it (it absorbs extra heat so your glass won’t shatter). Remove the knife.
- Pour the mixture quickly into the molds.
- Set in the fridge to set (takes less than a half hour).
- Pop the candies out of their molds and place in small bowl with about 1/4 cup icing sugar. Roll to coat each so they won’t stick together. And make sure your candy is completely cool before this step or the icing sugar will just get absorbed into the candy and may be a little tacky.
- Store in a cool, dry place (like a cupboard, but not the fridge).
Share what you make with @LEVO_Oil and be sure to tag it with #LEVOmade.