Flower Hour – Vegan Key Lime Cups
It’s 4/20 all month and we’re celebrating with an Instagram LIVE Takeover series called Flower Hour.
A flower connoisseur and mental health advocate, Lunita, is a trailblazer in her own right. During her live stream, she revealed you can infuse both the crust and the filling for her vegan key lime cups recipe. Talk about a double #LEVOmade infusion! While it’s totally up to you which component you infuse, here at LEVO HQ we always suggest going slow and low.
Check out the recipe below and pro tip from Lunita herself is to make sure you have a lime squeezer on deck! It’ll save you time from hand squeezing yourself.
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (GF for gluten-free eaters)* can also substitute crust for walnuts and dates
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) vegan butter melted
1 cup raw cashews (boiled and soaked for 4-6 hours or overnight, then drained)
3/4 cup light or full-fat coconut milk (well-shaken)
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
3-4 large limes* (3-4 limes yield ~1/2 cup juice)
1 tbsp lime zest
1/3 – 1/2 cup agave nectar (sweetened to preference)
Lunita’s Alternative Options:
- Substitute Graham Crackers – Walnuts & Dates
- Substitute Agave Nectar – Maple Syrup
- Substitute Key Limes – Regular Limes
- Add tablespoon of seamoss for extra nutrients
Optional #LEVOmade Infusion for either the crust (butter) or filling (full-fat coconut milk):
Fill pod about 7 grams of your flower of choice. Hit the Activate cycle to start. Add 1 cup butter or full-fat coconut milk to LEVO reservoir.
For either butter and or full-fat coconut milk, set temperature to 160-175°F and time to 2.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners (as original recipe is written / adjust if altering batch size).
- Add graham crackers to a food processor and process until you achieve a fine meal. Then add melted butter and pulse to combine.
- Distribute evenly among muffin tins and press down with a glass or spoon to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend on high (or liquefy) until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime zest/juice for more tart, or more agave for added sweetness.
- Pour filling into muffin tins and tap on counter to release air bubbles. Top with a bit more lime zest and loosely cover.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer for 10-15 minutes to thaw before serving. Keep covered in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, though best served when fresh.
Don’t forget to show us what you make with #LEVOmade. Stay tuned for more Flower Hour recipes during 4/20 all month.